Saturday, July 24, 2010

Further travels after the group

Hello all! Glad to say that after two rather difficult days getting a new passport for one of my students and getting him on the plane, my last 10 days in Lima have been fun and interesting. It's a city of many contrasts - incredible wealth and beauty along the coast and serious slums on the outskirts with middle class neighborhoods in between. And incredibly HUGE!

I pretty much ended up with just one faithful student - Beto, and a couple of others for just two lessons - but that's ok - it was just an excuse to stay longer!

I also have had a very positive experience getting some major dental work done here - super professional like a Beverly Hills dentist for one tenth the cost! Apparently coming to Lima and Buenos Aires, as well, is quite a popular thing to do nowadays because of the oppressive costs of dental care and medical care in the the USA.

I also visited two wonderful schools - one tiny one for street kids in Comas, shown to me by my friend Francisco, and another huge Albergue run by the Catholic Church for the poorest of kids, where a friend of Sergio's from Idaho is working for a year and a half. So many people doing wonderful work outside of government auspices - which seems to be the only way things work well here.

Tony arrives on Monday night and we have the adventure of traveling north on Wednesday to Trujillo and Chiclayo with our friend David.

I know by August 4th I will definitely be ready to be home. See you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. hey, can we manage to keep this updated? i want to know more about aspirespanish! and of course about our ninos in Peru!have they sent more letters? how are they? how is pedro? i miss it...

    ReplyDelete